Sunday, March 14, 2010

Happy Pi Day!

Just a quick check-in folks. Its been a bit busy over here at Casa de Rosa between work, school, life, and my troubling need to sleep, but I wanted to show you all this lovely picture of my pi day pie (March 14th - 3.14...). It was the traveling pie show today as I packed up my crusts, my filling ingredients, and my baking accoutrements and headed over to my friend Lyssette's. The pie turned out great, even if I do think the flavor profile it slightly resembled a McFastFood's apple pie (in a good way). After a great dinner with friends, there was just enough left for both Lyssette and I to be able to have a slice for breakfast tomorrow. And pie for breakfast is in fact one of life's great pleasures.

DSC04658

I used this pie-crust recipe. I usually use the Pioneer Woman's pie crust, but wanted to branch out. I used all butter though instead of the small amount of shortening and mostly butter called for in the recipe. I think in the future I would keep the small bit of shortening to loosen up the dough a little. It was pretty tight when I rolled it out and was very difficult to get to the proper thickness. The filling was just diced apples, white and brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, lemon juice, vanilla, and cornstarch to thicken. Put it all together and bake 15-20 minutes at 425 and then 35-45 at 350 until golden brown.

DSC04661

No comments:

Post a Comment