Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Weekend Adventures: Fort Mason and Stanford Campus

I am well aware that it is now Wednesday so this post may seem a little belated, but I think sometimes Wednesdays can use a little pick me up. It is good to remind oneself that the middle of the week means the Saturday will only get closer, and who doesn't love the weekend?

1 - DSC04375 - RESIZED

This upcoming weekend is holding a wealth of possibilities (most of them involving me cleaning my kitchen, more on that on Friday), and I can only hope that it is as plainly awesome as the last.

2 - DSC04356 - RESIZED

Last weekend was one of those weekends that is pretty much perfect. Not too exciting but not too boring, come Sunday night you feeling content with yourself and come Monday morning you are refreshed and excited for the week.

4 - DSC04370 DBBL

Starting off on Saturday, I spent my day at Fort Mason. This semester I am taking a print making class in one of the historical buildings which I have to say is one of the most satisfying things I've done artistically. Nothing like dropping a plate into the acid bath and watching your image come to life, or pulling back the freshly printed paper - still damp - and knowing that that print is the worthwhile final product of all of your labors.

3 - Resize

I think I'll share some of my work later on, but right now I just want to mention the view. Of all the places in San Francisco to have a class, you could do a lot worse than Fort Mason. The fresh sea air and the sound of boats and gulls are grounding, and the sight lines to the Golden Gate, Sausalito, and Alcatraz are spectacular - perfect inspirations for putting pen to paper and etching needle to plate. I don't even mind getting up at the crack of dawn to drive in by 8:30am (I don't even get up that early to go to work - where they pay me).

5 - DSC04382 - Resize

Sunday was a mini road-trip with a good friend to the other side of the Bay and Stanford University. We went to cheer on our Alma Mater at a horse show that was being held there, and spent the afternoon wandering around the campus.

6 - DSC04399 - Resize

Stanford has a gorgeous campus, and when it is supposed to be pouring but you luck out on one of the few sunny days in February, a good long walk on a sunny campus is awfully satisfying.

7 - DSC04404 - Resize

We wandered from the historic barn, past the greenway in the center of campus and over to the Rodin sculpture garden and the Stanford Mausoleum. We also stopped by the cactus garden. It looked like the century plants will be blooming soon. Those stalks are pretty impressive.

8 - DSC04400 DBBL

The day wound down with a milkshake (to prevent starvation should we become stuck in traffic) and dinner of Indian food and good conversation. Pretty much the perfect way to say "Peace Out" to those two days of weekly freedom.

9 - DSC04407 - Resize

Just something to think about in regards to life and friendship. Back on campus, past the mausoleum, is a lovely memorial statue of an angel where I may or may not have hopped the fence to better see the inscription. I then also may or may not have psyched myself out and gotten stuck on the wrong side of the wrought iron fence.

10 - DSC04418 - Resize

When finding yourself stuck on the wrong side of a fence and your companion has a camera in hand, a true friend will put the camera down and help you back over the fence.

Even if she is laughing at you the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment