Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Note on Saftey


Full disclosure in regards to my post on the slaw requires that I tell you when shredding the cabbage I was having trouble removing the particularly thick core. I pushed the knife down too hard and had my finger stabilizing the cabbage from the wrong place. I put a good 3/4" wide chop solidly into my left index finger.

I briefly considered going to the hospital to get stitches but ended up deciding on basic home first aid. In the end all was well, minus the awkward bandage and inability to chop anything else or wash dishes due to a lack of a hand.

Accidents happen, but remember, you are not an ingredient or a seasoning. Be careful, go as slowly as you need to, and BE CAREFUL. Better to burn something or get dinner on the table a little late than lose a finger. It's also a good idea to keep a first aid kit in the kitchen and know some basic first aid for cuts and burns. Hopefully you won't need it, but it will certainly come in handy when you do.

First aid graphic is free clip art.

No comments:

Post a Comment