Thursday, March 18, 2010

Not Naan

DSC04609

Much like my recipe from Tuesday was not Dal Masala, this grilled flat bread was not naan. It may not have been what I was expecting, but OH BOY was it tasty. I would say that it tasted a bit like soft pretzels - chewy, salty, and a hint of sweetness. I would have been perfectly happy to eat the whole batch with just some butter and salt, but I did end up using it as a foil for my spicy lentils when I had leftovers the next day. Indian Spiced Lentils and Not Naan, it was meant to be.

Not Naan
Based off of this recipe, adjusted for ingredients on hand, or not on hand
1/2 Package of Yeast (I used RapidRise, but I think you are supposed to use regular)
1/2 cup warm water
2 Tbs Sugar
1 egg
2 1/4 cups Flour
1 tsp salt

Optional:
Butter
Kosher Salt
Garlic Clove

1) Mix yeast and water, let stand 10 minutes. It should be frothy (though mine wasn't).
2) Add sugar, egg, salt, and flour. Mix to form a soft dough.
3) Knead on a floured surface until smooth, form into a ball, place in a well-oiled bowl, cover with a damp towel and let rise for an hour.
4) After dough has risen for an hour, it should have doubled in size, punch down and knead a few times. Break off into golf-ball sized pieces, roll, and place on a tray. Cover and let rise 30 minutes.
5) After 30 minutes sough should have again doubled in size. It is at this point where you may freeze the dough if you wish (or have gotten lazy and don't want to make your not naan anymore). If you are making your naan, preheat a griddle over high heat. Oil the surface, roll out your naan, and grill until brown on both sides. Flip frequently.
6) When finished rub with butter and sprinkle with kosher salt. Rub half a garlic clove on it if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment