Thursday, April 15, 2010

Mystery Box...

Ooh, a mystery box! What could it be? A thousand dollars? A puppy? An old boot? Nobody knows, and that's whats so great!

SMDSC04757

Actually I know exactly what is in this box! It is chock full of local organic produce from my CSA (community supported agriculture) program from Eatwell Farms! (ooh... green!)

SMDSC04759

This is a typical box that I pick up every other Thursday from a location near me. Its always a surprise as to exactly what is inside, but I always know that I will have 1-2 weeks worth of fresh, in-season produce from my farm in Davis, CA which is about 70 miles away from me. Pretty close!

SMDSC04766

Eating fresh, in season, locally, and organically as much as possible is important to me because of the benefits for my personal health and well-being and for the health and well-being of the environment. Amazingly enough, my CSA happens to be pretty easy on my pocket book, too. I'm excited about the effect this has on my life and my cooking, so I thought I would share. I'll get back to cooking and other adventures this weekend.

A note on local and organic foods and CSA's: what you eat and why is a personal choice that you get to make as an adult. I know for me that getting this box every other week encourages me to eat my veggies, try new things and be creative (do you know how to cook celeriac?), and do something good for the environment while fitting in my budget. It's win-win-win for me, but isn't necessarily for everyone. If you are curious to learn more about CSA's, THIS is a good place to start to find out more about what a CSA is and where you can find one in your area.

No comments:

Post a Comment